To some of you, November is Movember. To the rest of you, I'm sure you've seen something about Movember, and wondered "what the hell is Movember?" Movember is a group of guys with lofty goals. From their website:
Campaign Strategy & Goals: We will get men to grow moustaches and the community to support them by creating an innovative, fun and engaging annual Movember campaign that results in:
• Funds for men's health program investment • Conversations about men's health that lead to: - Greater awareness and understanding of the health risks men face - Men taking action to remain well - When men are sick they know what to do and take action
As a man who regularly grows facial hair in the fall and winter, I've already got a full beard going. For those you who are still clean-shaven, this is a great cause that's also a lot of fun. Who wouldn't enjoy getting to grow a ridiculous moustache once a month, and encourage their friends and family to donate to their moustache for this great charity.
This year, since I'm now a blogger, I've joined a great team of dads and bloggers such of Life Of Dad, the NYC Dads Group, the National At-Home Dad Network, and others to create a mega-team of dads and/or bloggers. The great guys behind the Dad 2.0 Summit have announced a great sponsor for our team: Microsoft. Yes, that Microsoft. They have contributed some great prizes to certain members of our team: the top three fundraisers on the Dads/Bloggers team will each win a ticket to the 2014 Dad 2.0 Summit in New Orleans, and the top fundraiser will win a brand-spanking-new Surface 2 device!
Microsoft also knows that there’s more to Movember than just fundraising and building awareness about men’s health. It’s also about style. If you’re not able to raise a heap of funds, but your facial follicles make Ron Burgundy look like a hobo, there’s room for you, too. Thanks to Microsoft, the Most Stylish Mustache (as chosen by a crack committee of mustachionados) will also receive a Surface 2, and both he and his runner-up will also win a free ticket to Dad 2.N0LA.
If you'’ve been on the fence about committing your face to philanthropy, get crackin’ son! Head over to our team page, and sign up!
- Movember (seasonoftheflowerchild.wordpress.com)
- MP shaves off 40-year moustache for Movember (metronews.ca)
- Movember: A guide to getting started on growing your moustache and raising money (metro.co.uk)
- Movember: Our guide to terrific 'tache growing (examiner.co.uk)
- Movember competition (sagalgroup.wordpress.com)
- Movember 2013: why you really should grow a mo' (telegraph.co.uk)
- Movember and the Temporary Beard-Part 1 (thegoodthebadandthebeard.com)
- Kate Upton is a Mo Sista for Movember (everyjoe.com)